Friday, June 10, 2005

Movies, XM, Dave Matthews Band

On the weekend before last, Megan and I were (once again) in Cincinnati dealing with some car warranty service, and we stayed at this ancient Comfort Inn. Man, that place was rundown. They had real cable, though, instead of that LodgeNet crap that only gives you the networks, ESPN, and HBO. They also advertised some sort of "data hookup," which is really just code for "Haha, suckers! It's just a place to plug in a phone cable!"

Anyway, we went to Gameworks, then to the AMC theater at Newport on the Levee. We saw two movies in the same day: The Longest Yard and Madagascar. I wanted to see Star Wars, but it was sold out and I don't think there's any way I could've roped Megan into seeing that. The Longest Yard was your typical "prison is hilarious" movie (OK, there really aren't that many movies that cast prison as being humorous--except Ernest Goes to Jail, which was awesome). It had some funny moments, but I almost enjoyed picking out the cameos as much as the comedy. Wow, that is really dorky; I even checked IMDB to see if I was right. However, it's probably a movie that I will eventually forget about.

Madagascar was also pretty entertaining, as it's one of those movies--like Shrek and Finding Nemo--where there are some jokes and parodies that only adults will get. They didn't attempt to make the animal characters so lifelike that they just end up looking creepy, and the style of [computer] animation worked. The main characters were alright, but I really enjoyed the scheming of the penguins and the psychosis of the lemur king Julian. <Tangent:> King Julian was voiced by Sacha Baron Cohen, the guy that plays Ali G. Da Ali G Show is wonderfully funny, if you ever get the chance to watch it. He sets up interviews with real celebrities and politicians and asks some of the most ridiculously stupid questions with a straight face. His two other characters are also funny: Borat, the chauvinistic Kazakhstani reporter; and BrĂ¼no, the host of an Austrian gay TV show. Oh, and the Ali G movie isn't really that funny because it's all scripted, so stay away from that</Tangent>

The next day, before heading back home, we decided to see another movie after lunch at Texas Roadhouse. Megan saw Monster in Law, and I finally got to see Star Wars Episode III. OK, the dialog wasn't good. I get it. However, the experience was very good. SPOILER WARNING: Anakin is Darth Vader! Oh noes!!!!!!11111elevenelevenoneoneone... Seriously though, I really enjoyed the movie. Take my opinion with a grain of salt though; I didn't hate I and II like you're supposed to if you're part of the "in" geeks. Of course the special effects were great, but the theater I was in had an awful sound system. All the sounds seemed to be coming the front, rather than the surround sound experience you might get on opening night in the best theater available.

On to my XM Radio...When I bought my new Honda, of course the salesperson brought over the "well-equipped" Accord EX, and one of the features that it came with was XM Radio. Well, I like to listen to lots of different types of music, as well as ESPN and other sports talk radio, so I was hooked. It started with 3 months free, which is like getting you hooked on free crack, then charging for your second hit. I decided to go ahead and buy the 3-year plan since it was cheaper per month (they let you cancel at any time, and refund a pro-rated amount). One reason I love it is that I don't have to listen to our Zeke Mullins (he's on our local EPSN affiliate instead of ESPN programming in the morning) during my drive to work, and I can pretty much always pick up XM. Now, for my standard complaining...The interface for the receiver that is in my car is very basic. Spartan, you might say. The Delphi XM branded receivers have so many more features. For instance, the Delphi ones can be programmed to tell you when a song by your favorite band comes on on another station. Things like that. Also, that 3-year plan is locked to this unit, so I can't just transfer service to another radio if I ever decide to get one. Still, I'm happy with it.

Last thing on the list...the Dave Matthews Band concert on Wednesday. Well, we got there about 6:30, and it was raining. That shouldn't have been a problem, since we got seats "in" the pavilion area. However, they failed to mention that the specific seats we got were not covered. So we moved up and stood under the roof next to this huge support pillar until the opening band came on stage around 7. We sat down in a pair of seats that WERE covered, and luckily nobody came to claim those seats for the whole concert. Robert Randolph (and the Family Band) was the opening act, and they were pretty good. We had seen them on the PBS show Austin City Limits and liked them, so I was glad to see that they were the opener.

Around 8:20, Dave Matthews and crew take the stage. It was a good performance, but I felt like it was too heavy on the newer music. I hadn't even really heard much from Busted Stuff, and Stand Up just came out (as mentioned in a previous post), so I wasn't really that familiar with some of the stuff they played. Actually, the most entertaining part of the show came near the end when Robert Randolph came out and played steel guitar with the band. That extended jam session finished up around 10:45, and since I had to be at work the next day, we decided to leave before the encores. Normally, I'm not the type to leave early like that, but I knew I would be dead the next day, especially after waiting for traffic to let out.

I think that's all for today.

4 Comments:

At 6/10/2005 11:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think his name was Ralph not Robert.

Megan

 
At 6/12/2005 12:14 AM, Blogger Random said...

Close...It's Randolph instead of Reynolds. Bleh...It's corrected in the post.

 
At 9/15/2006 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
[url=http://ecmxmixb.com/egpm/hgkn.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://bbwrnxvv.com/nhbs/zefa.html]Cool site[/url]

 
At 9/15/2006 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
http://ecmxmixb.com/egpm/hgkn.html | http://mvobyxhi.com/svwy/uhmm.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home